Friday 16 September 2011

An Introduction to the Frugal Graduate

University is over and I've joined the real world. My student bank account has been converted to a graduate account, but unfortunately they remembered to transfer my overdraft too. I'm slowly digging my way out of the hole and back up to £0...

I studied Biology at Cardiff University and my good grade can attest to the fact that I did not waste my money on too many nights out or all day shopping trips. I didn't even enter my overdraft until the second year of Uni, but then it was engulfed by a month in Kenya with the University studying tropical ecosystems (fantastic, but I'm still paying the price!) Since then I lived in London for a year on a work placement, which was far more expensive than I'd anticipated even with the salary I received!

So here I am, two months after graduating, working as a chamber maid in a hotel and living with my parents to save money! I've managed to pay off my small credit card debt and buy a car to get me to work (although I was lent some money to help with this that I want to repay as soon as possible). Luckily a research job is in the pipeline for the autumn and beyond (for which I'll be moving out) but money will definitely still be an issue.

A frugal lifestyle will enable me to save money and hopefully benefit the environment by reducing wastage and recycling items for new uses where possible. I will use this blog to document the ways I've been cutting back and reducing my deficit!

Bryallen

2 comments:

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

I look forward to reading your financial journey! I'm a follower now...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Priscilla

Bryallen said...

Thanks! I've followed you too. I love your writing style!