|I managed to mangle that middle one!|
Just a quick little recipe for vegans or people who don't like cheese (if such a thing exists).
I made cheese straws for a board game night, but didn't know any quick-to-make vegan alternatives. I decided to try garlic-flavoured straws. With this recipe you can make a big batch of vegan pastry then add cheese to some and garlic to the others.
The recipe (makes around 12 straws):
- Mix 200g vegan margarine (I use Vitalite as it's easy to find in UK supermarkets) and 300g plain flour together and check it can roll into a ball. (May need a splash of cold water, but the Vitalite is often enough to hold the mixture together).
- For CHEESE straws, you can now mix in 200g grated cheese and half a teaspoon of mustard (for the best straws you've ever tasted).
- For VEGAN straws, add at LEAST two decent-sized crushed garlic cloves. Three cloves would make it pretty garlic-y.
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes, then roll the pastry out to 0.5cm thick and cut approximately 10cm x 2cm slices. Place them on a greased baking tray.
- If you're making CHEESE straws, this is the point to brush the straws with beaten egg for glazing. If you're making VEGAN straws, there's not really much you can use to glaze but they'll still cook and look fine. :)
- Cook in the centre of a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes at 200°C (gas mark 6). They will be a light golden brown when cooked.
Both recipes won the approval of my family and didn't last more than a couple of hours, which is always a good sign!
P.S. If you're looking for more vegan recipes I made a vegan chocolate birthday cake back in May