I am currently employed at McDonald's. It is a franchised restaurant, and one of the store policies is to charge 5p for a pot of sauce, including ketchup. This is because they have to buy it in from the corporation, and people get greedy with free stuff. You get one free with a chicken nuggets meal, that's about it.
Personally, I wish the sauces were free. Free the sauce! You wouldn't believe the amount of hassle I get every day about this 5p!
The reactions of customers to “they're five pence each, how many would you like?” are on a sliding scale:
- Yup, here you go (my personal favourite!)
- Oh.. ok.
- Okaaaaay (slightly exasperatedly)
- *Grumbles and walks off*
- Really? ... You're joking, right? (People actually think I'm making it up for a laugh. If I were going to make a joke, I'd at least make it obvious - £5 at least! :D)
- How long has it been like that?! I was in (insert other place here)'s McDonald's just last week and didn't get charged there! (Cue having to explain the franchise system agaaaain)
- That's outrageous! I just spent £X on a meal! (Well five pence more is probably not going to hurt then..)
- WELL $%@& OFF THEN! (Yes, this has happened)
I don't really have an opinion on whether or not it is “wrong” for them to charge for sauces. I mean it's a business after all. It's just the way people speak to me when I'm just doing my job that does my head in every day!
So please, if you are ever charged for sauce, please remember that your cashier is not the one making the policies!