I think making your own advent calendar is great way of starting a tradition, perhaps with your children or in my case a new home. You can create it based on YOUR ideas of Christmas, for example it could contain anything from chocolates to Bible verses. The best part is that you don't have to pay three quid for 24 nibbles of tasteless chocolate, and that you create a meaningful Christmas decoration to enjoy for years to come!
Anyway, on to the next stage of creating the Advent calendar! I have chosen to start by making the bags, mainly because they are the simplest design.
1. Grab the fabric pieces you cut earlier. Pin the good material together, right sides facing in. Stitch along three edges, leaving one of the shorter sides open. Do the same with the lining material.
2. Turn the lining material pocket inside out, so that the right side is facing outwards. Put this pocket inside the outer material pocket, so that the right sides of each pocket are touching.
3. Cut a 10cm length of twine/ribbon and tie it into a loop.
4. Insert your loop between the two pockets, with the tied end facing out of the tops. Pin the two pockets together.
6. Turn the bag right side out. The loop will be sticking out. Sew around the top of the bag, which will seal the gap and give your seam a better finish.
7. To finish the bag, cut another length of ribbon or twine approximately twice as wide as your bag. I added some glue to the ends to stop them from fraying. Tie it in a pretty bow around your bag.
We will add the numbers on at a later date!
If you are making several of these bags, as I did, it can help speed things up if you make them all at once. I did step one for all of the bags first, then step two, and so on.
I think these little bags could also make cute little decorations for your Christmas tree, perhaps filled with cinnamon or just sweets! :)
How to make an Advent Calendar:
Step One - Getting Ready
Step Two - Making the bags
Step Three - The Triangular pockets
Step Four - Mini Stockings
Step Five - Finishing Touches