Thursday 29 November 2012

How to Make an Advent Calendar: Part Five - Finishing Touches!

Today is the moment of truth, but first there's one last job to be done!


You will need:

  • Cardboard or thick paper in a festive colour (I have red)
  • Mini pegs
  • Approximately 4 metres of ribbon / twine
  • PVA glue, scissors, a marker pen

Directions

1. Cut the cardboard into whatever shape you'd like for numbering your Advent calendar. I used circles about 3cm (1.25 inches) in diameter. Handy hint: you'll be needing 24!

2. Write a number on each cardboard disc, 1-24.

3. Dab some PVA glue onto the side of the mini pegs. Stick it onto the back of the disc, so that the mouth/clamp part of the peg is pointing towards the bottom edge of the disc. Leave to dry overnight.


4. Decide how you want to hang your Advent calendar. I've strung mine across bookshelves, so I cut my twine into six pieces, each holding four days worth of stockings, bags and pockets. Cut your twine/ribbon to measure, leaving extra length at the ends to tie or hang the twine up.

5. Position your stockings, pockets and bags on the twine. Using the mini pegs/date labels, clamp them into place. I've done mine in numerical order but it might be fun to have a random sequence!





Now's the fun part! The exciting question is what will be filling the calendar? :) Well, I have some little chocolate balls, a few candy canes, some hot chocolate sachets and best of all, some little challenges.

Here are some of the challenges/activities:
  • Wrap Christmas presents
  • Put the tree up (I got a Christmas tree for my birthday!! :D)
  • Go and see the Christmas lights
  • Make Christmas biscuits
  • Christmas movie
  • Name all reindeer
  • Sing the chorus of a carol
  • What was given on the 4th day of Christmas?
  • Make paper snowflakes
  • Winter walk
According to the weather forecast, one of the challenges could even be to make a snowman! 

Anyway, I hope that this guide has been of some use to someone out there. I really enjoyed putting this Advent calendar together and hope to use it for years to come! :)

P.S. How are your Christmas preparations coming along?

How to make an Advent Calendar:

Step One - Getting Ready
Step Two - Making the bags
Step Three - The Triangular pockets
Step Four - Mini Stockings
Step Five - Finishing Touches 

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I am so impressed, Bryallen. I haven't even sent out my Christmas cards yet!

cumbrian said...

I've bought 6 mince pies.
Tesco reduced 10p